Dear Environment California supporter,

Good news! The Million Solar Roofs bill, SB 1, passed its first hurdle
Tuesday, April 26 when the Senate Energy, Utilities, and Commerce Committee
overwhelmingly approved the bill by a vote of 10-0. Thanks to all of you who
contacted your senator in recent weeks. You have helped us build the
momentum it will take to win this year.

We have many more votes ahead of us this summer, so please take a minute to
thank the committee for casting their vote in favor of solar power. Then
forward this e-mail to your family and friends to share the good news.

To take action click on the link below or paste it into your Web browser:
http://environmentcalifornia.org/envirocalifenergy.asp?id=748&id4=ES

To read our press release on Tuesday's vote, click on the link below or
paste it into your Web browser:
http://environmentcalifornia.org/envirocalifenergy.asp?id2=16977

Background information on SB 1:

As the Los Angeles Times points out, The Million Solar Roofs bill, SB 1,
will help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and bring cleaner air by
greatly expanding California's solar power market. Co-authored by state
Senators Kevin Murray (D, Los Angeles) and John Campbell (R, Orange County),
and endorsed by Gov. Schwarzenegger, the Million Solar Roofs Bill would make
California the world's solar power leader and put us on pace to achieve the
governor's goal of building half of all new homes with solar power.

Specifically, the Million Solar Roofs bill would:
1) Require all builders of large developments offer solar power as an option
for homebuyers along side other options like marble counter tops;
2) Give homeowners and businesses a solar rebate to reduce the upfront cost
of solar power systems;
3) Give homeowners and businesses a credit on their electric bill for any
excess energy from their solar system that is used to power their neighbor's
home;
4) Encourage energy efficiency and provide additional support for
incorporating solar into affordable housing.

The Million Solar Roofs bill, SB 1, passed its first policy committee,
Senate Energy Committee, on Tuesday April 26th by a 10-0 vote margin. The
bill now heads to Senate Appropriations in May and then on to the Senate
Floor before it repeats the same steps through the state Assembly.

SB 1 Senate Energy Committee
Ayes:
Senator Martha Escutia (Chair) (D-Los Angeles)
Senator Richard Alarcon (D-Los Angeles)
Senator John Campbell (R-Orange County) (Bill's Primary Co-Author)
Senator Jim Battin (R-Riverside)
Senator Bill Morrow (Vice-Chair) (R-S Orange County)
Senator Joseph Dunn (D-Garden Grove)
Senator Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego) (Co-Author of SB 1)
Senator Kevin Murray (D-Los Angeles) (Bill's Primary Co-Author)
Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto)
Senator Dave Cox (R-Roseville)

Abstained from vote:
Senator Debra Bowen (D-Los Angeles)

People can complain that "the US isn't doing anything about the world's problems", but such complaints would be wrong. As I have pointed out on this board before, California has often lead the way on environmental issues. Reduced emissions standards for automobiles started here in California, and we will CONTINUE to lead the world.... thanks to our Governator! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RMT

I post in physics, as I am a natural at it.

So improvements should lie in the area, of how to boost existing potentials on solar cells.

A while back, a few years ago, the NASA quality solar cells, which were manufactured in sheets, seemed to be the best sort of solar cell.

I feel the concept that we should be embracing, is there a way to boost the performance of the standard solar cells.

This is simple, as if say you lived on Mercury, then you would receive must more dramatic sunlight, which would power your solar cells at better performance ratios.

The question here is, since I am very intrested in making electric cars to replace the standard internal combustion engine, due to the project oil shortage, as told in National Geographic, is how do you boost that performance?

The answer might be to integrate a smaller version, of a laser diode, glued right to the surface of the solar cells.

This need for invention, would start to take the direction of the thermocouple, or dynamic light heat energy potential.

I feel that oil will still play a very big part for some means of transportation, however remember those oil reserves, can and will dry up, if they are overused?

Special note to Ray.

Would it be possible to self regulate the emissions of the laser diode, so that a percentage of the solar cell output, would be pumped back into operating these diodes.

This might be as near to a self perpetual machine as one could come near?

Thank you very much for making this wonderful post!?

No comment.

The answer might be to integrate a smaller version, of a laser diode, glued right to the surface of the solar cells.
It might be good to ask a question before you provide an answer. The engineering question associated with your answer would be: What is the system requirement that would lead to the use of a laser diode in this application? In other words, why do you wish to create laser light?

Would it be possible to self regulate the emissions of the laser diode, so that a percentage of the solar cell output, would be pumped back into operating these diodes.
Again I must ask the natural engineering question: Why?

This might be as near to a self perpetual machine as one could come near?
I do not agree. Let's analyze your proposal to find out why I do not agree:

1) A laser diode is a device that transforms a voltage source (at constant current) into coherent laser light within a defined frequency band.
2) As with all electrical circuits, there are inherent losses in this conversion process (mostly realized as heat). For laser diodes, some of these losses are a function of the specific frequency of light you a trying to generate (the higher the frequency, the greater the conversion losses for a given power level).
3) The nature of solar photovoltaic cells is that there is already a fair amount of losses involved in converting the natural light to a DC voltage and current. (Current efficiencies of typical solar cells is in the 12-15% range).
4) Therefore, adding a laser diode that feeds off the solar cell's DC voltage and current only results in higher circuit losses to produce the eventual laser light source.
5) And all of this still begs the question: Why do you want to produce laser light? What are you going to do with it? If you are thinking of some how wrapping that laser light back onto the solar cells, you can see from the analysis above that it will not produce more electrical power. In actuality, all you are doing is wasting energy via the losses involved in converting electrical current into laser light.

So again....what is the goal (requirement) that would cause you to want to add a laser diode to a solar energy production system?

RMT

a natural of not understanding it. yes you are very much a natural at physics thinking ai robots are attacking and ufo's are lurking over your house and all the other meaningless nonsense you post.

you do seem to be natural at making no sense, being weird on purpose, and just annoying everyone else. you dont annoy me because, well, for the most part people who have much smaller brain pans are more like insects to me. not really an annoyance but not really wanted. although you do seem to serve a purpose.

Those of you out there who moan and whine about "why isn't someone DOING something to solve our energy problems?" now have your opportunity to stop your moaning, stop being part of the problem (energy consumers vs. energy producers), and start doing something to solve this problem you are concerned about.

Buy and install a solar power generation system for your roof, ESPECIALLY if you live in an area with lots of sunshine (those of us in the US Southwest should take note!). If you are really and honestly interested in getting something done about this issue, then here are some calculations that can help you understand just what sort of impact we can have...

As many of you know, I put my money where my mouth is, because I have a 33-cell solar power generating station on my roof here in SoCal. I generate all the power I need for myself, and I actually generate more power than I need which I "donate" back to the power grid. Yes folks, that means that my electric meter actually spins backwards during the daytime, and over long periods of time it is actually descreasing. Being the geeky engineer that I am, I constantly take data on my power production to keep track of my energy efficiency. Let's just look at my average power production, and then extend it by one million more homes (as alluded to by this new CA Senate Bill) and see what it gets us:

During calendar year 2004, after my own energy needs were satisfied, I generated a daily average of 4.6 kilowatt-hours of energy. Taken over the entire year that averages to 1.647 megawatt-hours for the year. You're welcome!

So far this calendar year my average is a bit lower, but it is only the end of April, and we are approaching the sunny, summer months. However my average so far this year is 3.18 KW-hrs per day, or 1.156 MW-hrs per year. Let's use this smaller number and project it over 1 million more homes in California and see what happens:

Daily average power generation: 3175 MegaWatt-hours!
Annual average power generation: OVER 1 MILLION MegaWatt-hours!

And then to provide a measure of comparision to show the kind of impact this could have, we know that the Hoover Dam generates about 4 Million MegaWatt-hours every year.

Clearly, the math works. And the math shows us that by adding more and more solar-generating homes, we can avoid having to build new power plants, and at the same time begin to increase our energy efficiency by using a resource that is there for the taking.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact that the number above represents NEW energy capability, over and above the energy used by each household. Thus, as more and more existing homes add this capability, more and more excess energy becomes available on the grid.
RMT

I said a few lines down, [ This need for invention, would start to take the direction of the thermocouple, or dynamic light heat energy potential.]

So, this would mean, that after the evolution of the design of the idea, that the solar cells, might not even be this any more.

What stops solar cells from delivering good output, is limited sunlight input.

So why not take the next step further, and provide helper simple construction micro laser diodes, that feed some of the gained power curve, back onto those said solar cell boards?

In the magazine circular, Hard To Find Electronic Devices, there is a section on how to make, cook your own solar cells, using boron and a number of other components, that I think, you had to bake in a mild oven?

They don't perform as well as a high quality solar cell, however do produce power.

What I was after, is pumping a certain amount of power, back onto the solar cells themselves, in order to increase power output.

This means one must utilize a controller divider, in order to accomplish this.

The new cars and new solar cells to house tops, must utilize a controlled voltage divider, in order to make optimum power of what is being used in-system, as well as what is being put in or utilized.

In otherwords, this concept is similar to a steady stream of pennies, rather than dollars as far as current pouring into the bank.This is why I advise a laser diode, bonded back onto the surface of the solar cells.

Again' I say, a change of direction of evolution, to something like a solar cell, but probably not the same exact as per item.

On my physics ability as opposed to yours.You used the term massive space-time, which I really shy away from.

The reason I do, as different times have different densities, so you can not use massive space-time, to range everything.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, so this is why I letting this intellectual battle drop.

This would be like me saying, my girl and yours are the same, as they both have (reference).

>Your logic here is, well if Creedo's girl has a (thingy)and mine does too, then they must be one in the same?

Do you see now, why I do not cotton to this term, as this connotation seems to say to the user, one size fits all?

To Ren: Yay, see a doctor of the mind. Start with your mother, (something) feeding, how long you had nursed?

Then hostilities, perceived between the recognition, of role realized that you had appointed from your mother and father.

Talk to the guy a while and see if you cant get at the root of your inner hostility, as it REALLY SHOWS.I'm not kidding.

Thank you all, for at least recognizing this idea?

http://www.lutec.com.au/

http://www.searleffect.com

S.E.G. (Searl Effect Generator)

An effect based on magnetic fields that generates a continual motion of magnetized rollers around magnetized rings (also called plates) producing electric energy and, under certain conditions, an anti-gravity effect that can be used for propulsion. Side-effects include negative ionization of surrounding air and a cooling of temperature around the device when in operation.

http://www.svpvril.com/dynasum1.html#TOP%20ds1

Creedo: Do You Want To Give Back To The Grid?

I just thought I would post a little update to this thread. Seeing as how Creedo is very hot for wanting to create a car that is primarily driven by SOLAR power, I thought that at least Creedo (if not some others who lurk around here) might appreciate some real, hard-fast numbers for the kind of power each of us could generate, and give back to the Global Electricity Grid (GEG).

As of today, 14-May-2005:
There has been a total of 133 Mean Solar Days (MSD) since the year 2005 began.
Over those 133 MSDs I have generated a Net EXCESS of approximately 3.81 KW-hrs per MSD.
This equates to an average of 1386.8 KW-hrs that I will donate to the Grid this Solar Year (SY).
Over the last 7 MSDs I have generated an average of 11.27 KW-hrs per day.

While a solar automobile is a venerable goal, wouldn't it be a more immediate effect if each of us could CONTRIBUTE TO (rather than CONSUME FROM) the GEG? Would that not have a substantial and positive effect on our energy issues? The simple math tells me...YES.

If you really want to do something to help our planet's energy issues, you have the ability to Create more power than you Consume. Is this not the ultimate goal for self-sufficiency?

RMT

Thought I would resurrect this thread and provide an update:

Yes, California is setting the standard for the entire US when it comes to solar power. The following article is about litigation between two neighbors, one with a solar array and the other with some tall trees that partially block the array. However, there are some interesting facts in the article too!

Solar Dispute Story

Solar power is growing rapidly in California, which is by far the nation's biggest generator of solar energy. In 2007, more than 30,000 California homes and businesses had rooftop solar panels, with the capacity to generate 400 megawatts of electricity.

That's as much as eight power plants, according to the nonprofit Environment California.

The boom is being fueled by the California Solar Initiative, which offers homeowners and businesses more than $3 billion in rebates over the next decade to install solar-electric systems.

RMT