"The future ain't what it used to be."

This ones a longer story - Calculating Multiversal Convergences for Beginners

Prez

Chrono Cadet
Let's use a hypothetical. Suppose Adam and Eve are seasoned travelers, and they somehow become separated in the multiverse. How might they find each other again?

In the beginning of our scenario, the Present reality (which I will call P) for Adam and Eve are different.

So, PAdam <> PEve

If you consider that P is the set containing all fixed/unchangeable points (I), flux/easily changeable points (Y), and is unified by anchor points / hard to change points (Q)…Adam and Eve have two distinct sets.

PAdam = {Y U Q U I}
PEve = {Y U Q U I}

This should be intuitive, as Adam and Eve are in different universes. Naturally, their P's are different.
However, there are still commonalities between them. These commonalities are the intersection of their two universes.

PAdam ∩ PEve is very small, or rather, their universes do not overlap very much.
What Adam and Eve want is for PAdam ∩ PEve to grow bigger.

They want more intersections between their universes, or, put simply, they want to find more things in common when they look back at historical events.

What they need to do, is find the right combination of flux points and anchor points that they can change into shared outcomes. If Adam and Eve tweak events here and there, they may cause their universes to converge. Twist the right knobs and PAdam ∩ PEve becomes bigger.

Ok…now let's illustrate the convergence already!
To avoid overclocking everyone's brains, I'm going to keep the calculation to 7 events. I will however be putting aside the oversimplified numerical assignments for fixed, flux, and anchor points. These events will have some "weight" to them in order to illustrate better.

Suppose that which makes up PAdam contains the events: The big bang, Obama wins 44 POTUS, Lonely Stephen Hawking time travel party, Trump wins 45 POTUS, Biden wins 46 POTUS, 2024 solar eclipse, Epochalypse. All of which I'm just going to call "His Recollection of Events."

And imagine that which makes up PEve contains the events: The big bang, Obama wins 44 POTUS, raging Stephen Hawking time travel party, Clinton wins 45 POTUS, Trump wins 46 POTUS, 2024 solar eclipse, Epochalypse letdown. All of which I'll call "Her Recollection of Events"

The intersection of His Recollection of Events and Her Recollection of Events is: The big bang, Obama wins 44 POTUS, 2024 solar eclipse. That is to say, those are the intersections of Adam and Eve's universes.

Ok, but what could they change to reunite?!?!
And even more…how can we calculate?

Let's consider the types of events and assign them some numerical values.
The common events (Intersection of PAdam ∩ PEve):

• The big bang is worth 10 to both.
  • The solar eclipse is worth 10 to both.
  • Obama wins 44 POTUS is worth 8 to both.

These add up to 28 points of commonality between Adam and Eve.
Remember, they want the intersection (points of commonality) to get bigger.

The differences (symmetric difference of PAdam PEve):
  • Clinton wins 45 POTUS is worth 7 to Eve.
  • Trump wins 45 POTUS is worth 11 to Adam.
  • Biden wins 46 POTUS is worth 12 to Adam.
  • Trump wins 46 POTUS is worth 13 to Eve.
  • Lonely Stephen Hawking time travel party is worth 5 to Adam.
  • Raging Stephen Hawking time travel party is worth 4 to Eve.
  • Epochalypse is worth 3 to Adam.
  • Epochalypse letdown is worth 1 to Eve.

Adam's unique events, which I will call XAdam = {5, 11, 12, 3} sum up to 31
Eve's unique events, which I will call XEve = {4, 7, 13, 1} sum up to 25

In set notation, the symmetrical difference between Adam and Eve would be:
PAdam
PEve = XAdam U XEve

Using their numerical values,
PAdam
PEve = {5, 11, 12, 3} U {4, 7, 13, 1}
PAdam
PEve = {5, 11, 12, 3, 4, 7, 13, 1}

The "weight" of their symmetrical differences sums up to 56.

Adam wants to be with Eve. He needs to make PAdam ∩ PEve bigger.
So, Adam being Adam, he hops universes to where Clinton won 2016 and people showed up for Stephen Hawking's time travel party.
Numerically, XAdam changed from {5, 11, 12, 3} to {12, 3}

The common events (Intersection of PAdam ∩ PEve) is now:
  • The big bang is worth 10 to both.
  • The solar eclipse is worth 10 to both.
  • Obama wins 44 POTUS is worth 8 to both.
  • Raging Stephen Hawking time travel party is worth 4 to both.
  • Clinton wins 45 POTUS is worth 7 to Eve.

Summing them up, PAdam ∩ PEve = 39.
The convergence grows with changes that align Adam and Eve.

The universe they want to get to in order to be reunited is PEden.
Sure, Adam could just change all the events he needs to reach Eve, but let's say this is a give and take relationship they have. For whatever reason, he really wants Biden to win 46 POTUS and the Epochalypse is important to him somehow.

All Eve has to do now to fully converge with Adam, is find a universe where Biden wins 46 POTUS and Titor fails to fix the unix bug, leading to the Epochalypse.

In other words, Eve needs to find a universe where the symmetrical difference (PAdam PEve) between her and Adam = 0. That is PEden.
There's more than one way to reach a symmetrical difference of 0.

For example, Adam and can find a universe where Trump wins 45 POTUS, nobody shows up to Stephen Hawking's party, and Titor fixes the unix bug, averting the Epochalypse. All Eve needs to do is give up the partying, let Trump win 45 POTUS, and let Biden win 46 POTUS.

Alas, these are still just simplifications, when in reality there's a lot of variables when trying to coordinate traveling efforts.
Just know if there are two travelers in divergent universes, they need only to calculate the intersections between their two universes & find a universe where the symmetrical difference between them is equal to 0 in order to converge. Since there can be more than one....if you find one and get it wrong, try another. If you're both twisting knobs checking for all the PEden, eventually you'll end up in the same universe. If you recalculate and the intersection gets smaller, you're getting farther away.

I'd like to also note for the history books, that in this universe, John Titor isn't real.

Back