Laser communication

AlienChild

Temporal Navigator
Imagine communications without medium. You now use fiber optics to communicate at the speed of light. Take away the optical casing, use your laser technology and communicate with your suroundings. You always wonder how you could send a message to Alpha Centuri, this is how to do it at the speed of light.

LOL this is laughable.

geez I communicate with my TV at light speed everytime I change the channel.

the point behind fiber optics is that they can BEND, around corners, walls, underneath, over the top, etc. a laser requires point of site, due to the curvature of the earth, lasers are never going to be developed for ground based communications. more like ground to satellite, back to ground. Which is the way many of them currently work.

I guess I dont understand the point of this post? you think somehow you are clever by saying take away the optical casing? there's a very good reason for that casing, its because we tried direct laser communications on the ground and it didn't work very well. I want to get information from a guy who lives 2 blocks away, I shine my laser, oops it hits a tree, a bush a house, a car, etc. hookup to fiber and I can go around the tree, bush, house, car, etc.

so what was the point of this? to say communication directly with lasers is a good way to talk to alpha centauri? and you don't think this has ever been tried before, like your idea is so original nobodies ever sent a message into outer space at light speed? LOL truly laughable.

Your mind is small my friend.You t.v. is not communicating with you, you are absorbing stale information being bombarded at you by a light box.

I communicate (in a manner of speaking) with my Television, when I hit the buttons on the REMOTE CONTROL and it sends via Infrared (LIGHT) signals to change the channel, AT LIGHT SPEED.

duh

Then you are not using the correct language. keep trying. You television is not communication back with you.
Perhaps it is YOU, AlienChild, who is not using the correct language. One of the more general definitions of communication includes exchange of information, via signals, through some type of channel. The television is most certainly passing information to the viewer, when you consider this from the strict Shannon-sense definition of information. So yes, the television is communicating to you.

You are selecting only the anthropomorphic definition of communication, which is not correct.
RMT

AC carries a DOD agreement, don't you both think you should stop harrasing him?
Mmmm. Interesting how you interpret things, Creedo. So now correcting someone's use of language (while they may have been harassing someone else) is considered harassment?

2 funny,
RMT

OK, maybe you consider a television a way of communication, I say that you only get the garbage that you are looking for. You point a remote, click, it sends a command to the television, it "responds" by changing the chanel to whatever you selected and throuws a ton of pre programmed and government approved immages and dialog that you intake like a dead mass of ignorants. you consider that communications?

May your god help you!

Binary is not only one laguage. Use it point it and you will get a responce.

it sends a command to the television, it "responds" by changing the chanel to whatever you selected and throuws a ton of pre programmed and government approved immages and dialog that you intake like a dead mass of ignorants.
Now THIS could be construed as harassment! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you consider that communications?
Dear sir, I was merely pointing out the accepted defintion of communication did, indeed, include a television. If you wish to more narrowly interpret communication, either take it to Websters or use more appropriate words to define your terms (perhaps "conversation" is the alternate word you are searching for here?).

RMT

This brings to mind Ozzy Osborne and a particular show in which he had a voice command radio in his vehicle. By speaking a specific word, the device responds with its own "voice" and completes a request.

However, for some reason, it couldnt understand Ozzy and couldnt proceed with his requests.

From reading the posts in this thread, I think that an agreement on the definition of communication is essential. How much interaction is involved that qualifies something as a device that communicates. I know the advertisers certainly believe that the Television is a communication device utilized to promote specific behavior.

The response from the individual may be subtle or subliminal, but isnt there two-way dynamics involved? Maybe not in an average manner that we believe communication to be, but more on a psychological level.

Ren,

I have pondered this idea regarding lazers being used for such a purpose. It seems that if it could be possible to use some type of technology in which you could program the particles to perform in a specific manner, then it would be possible to have a beam of light travel on a pre-programmed path.

We may not have the ability to program such particles to date, but I think we are headed in that direction. I dont know if it would still be feasible to use as a common communication method, since we have trouble with cell phones and the myriad of frequencies being utilized. I could only imagine what would happen if thousands of lazers were flashing around.

However, that doesnt mean that somebody wont give it a go.

The one area that has intrigues me was the bio-chip. In the late 80's, OMNI magazine had an article regarding a company working on a bio-chip that would be implanted into the brain and take over specific functions. I could see how such an implant could result in some sweeping changes of society. If the chip was capable of communicating with a mainframe, then it would be possible to send messages between people via the chips.

Instead of typing this reply, I could utilize the chip to send the text I am thinking of( through my mainframe ) and post my message without touching a keyboard or making any verbal sounds whatsoever.

This ideal staggers the imagination, and is in the realm of possibilities.

article about bio-chip implants

I believe a photon to be traveling upon a winding path, following the familiar Sinewave but in 3 dimensions, spiraling around, and thus always with a forward motion in relation to its spin.

It is not possible to program a laser beam to bend around corners, however it is possible to use a source of gravity, artificial or natural, to bend the light.

It is not possible to program a laser beam to bend around corners...

At this point in time, yes. As technology advances, I believe that we may be able to actually create a programable light particle that will do just that, travel any direction using a co-ordinate system.

How long off the technology may be to do it...????

I do not agree, perhaps we can use gravity or an artificial gravity source to control the path of a photon traveling at light speed, but I do not believe the particles themselves can be programmed in such a manner. That would defeat the entire purpose of Chaos theory to suggest there is an underlying programmed order.

or would it prove there is an internal programming logic to each particle that we have the ability to manipulate.

You would have to calculate the distance/trajectories of obstacles they will encounter, and predict the outcome of those interactions in a favorable way. You could also use other particles from the base of release to influence the outcome of your goal particle. Probably not the best means of communication.

I am happy to have pointed all of you in the right direction, please continue and open your minds to the infinite possibility of "conversations" with other beings.

I am happy to have pointed all of you in the right direction, please continue and open your minds to the infinite possibility of "conversations" with other beings.

Yep I talked to my cat the other day and it meowed!

So Mr Alien Child .... what is your point?

Are you thinking of "Lazer Morse Code" or somthing?

Are you talking about telepathy?

Please get to the point!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Good thread guys.

Programmable particles; no, probably never.
Using gravity to bend light; would require something like a black hole, very impractical.
Light does not exhibit a 3d rotating sine wave, have you heard of polarisation? Obviously not.
LASER (Light Amplification through Stimulating Emissions of Radiation) morse code with alpha centauri, a waste of good energy and scientific principles.......

Good Scientist