Qabalistic Tree of Life and I Ching

persephone8

Chrono Cadet
Question from Persephone:

Is the Qabalistic Tree of Life anything like the 3000 year old I Ching that Confuscious taught? It is based upon hexograms in a sort of astrology.

I know, I will read more about the Qabalistic Tree of Life.

I need a primer because I am not familiar with it.

The Appropriateness of Chance is Astounding
Persephone

"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers" by Neil Armstrong

Hi Persephone:

No need to address me as "Prof." Actually, I only teach part time in my spare time, and I do not accrue tenure for doing so. So I am just a plain old engineer who happens to do lots of research. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is the Qabalistic Tree of Life anything like the 3000 year old I Ching that Confuscious taught?
They are related to one another. Like many systems of "divination" (which are nothing more than a capability to relate one thing to something else), the I Ching can be shown to "overlay" the Tree Of Life. More below...

I need a primer because I am not familiar with it.
Primer on the way. Follow these instructions to see a picture for how the I Ching trigrams overlay the Tree Of Life. While you are at the website, you may want to look around for other "primers" on the TOL.

1) Go to the Tree-O-Life.org Science Page .
2) Click on Sphere #8 on the TOL on the left side of the page.
3) From the numbered table of contents for this page, click on the hyperlink with the words "6) Eight Trigrams of I-Ching"
4) You will now see a diagram of how the 8 I Ching trigrams align with the four levels of the TOL. Four trigrams represent the downward flow of creative energy. The other four represent the upward flow of receptive energy.

Obviously, this page is nowhere near as complete as the earlier pages. I am working on the text to go along with this on the weekends. Someday it will be done and I will move on to 9!

Kind Regards,
RainmanTime

Ah, Rainman Time, you will always be Prof. to me. You are educating me and others here, so I think it is appropriate.

:oops:

Persephone

"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers" by Neil Armstrong

Prof. Rainman Time,

Or maybe I should call you "Guru"

The Tree of Life diagram reminds me of the Reiki spots on the body.

Persephone

Or maybe I should call you "Guru"
Actually, Rainman, or even just Ray, is fine. I'm not big on titles that imply some kind of superiority to anyone else. But thanks anyway! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Tree of Life diagram reminds me of the Reiki spots on the body.
I am sure there is a correlation there, just as there is a correlation between the TOL and the 7 Chakra energy centers on the body. Perhaps you could develop that correlation?

Some folks often speak of the TOL as being a "universal cross-referencing system" where any extant archetype in the universe can be shown to fit on the TOL.

Kind Regards,
RainmanTime

Oh yes,

I had a friend studying the Reiki healing process. She also attended a seminar on the Chakras. I think they come from different cultures, but are nearly the same.

I wasn't implying supeiority with the title, just funnin' around. If you are uncomfortable with it, I will cease and desist.

Persephone

I'm interested in I Ching because of its connection to Chinese Martial Arts. I guess there are many similarities between the Qabalistic Tree of Life and several Chinese philosophies. For instance Baguazhan, a martial art based on the theory of the Bagua, has a somewhat scientific approach. It even has some interesting aspects in relation to timetravel, since it deals with cause and effect.

Roel

Dear Roel,

I gotta be honest here. I really don't know a lot about I Ching. Just remotely. I checked one copy out from the library, and I read the author's interpretation of the ancient writing in the introduction. Of course I am not referring to the author of I Ching, but the writer and interpretter of the introduction. But you know, I didn't fully understand it. Except that the author thought it was useful for divination. It seemed to me that there had to be a lot more to it. It intrigued me, but I didn't take my interest any further. A lot of the ancient writings and philosophies strike me as often connected sorts of ideas. Which I guess makes sense. In that time, man's understanding of things was at a certain point. But I do not assert that our understanding of things is either better or worse. I do think the more one knows about our history the wiser they are about our present.

Persephone

Dear Persephone,

I don't think I know much more of the I Ching than you do /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif Like I said I'm interested in I Ching because of its connections with Martial Arts. I Ching is actually much bigger than that and I'm probably just as confused (Confusiused
) by the trigrams as you are. Superficially there seem to be a lot of similarities with the Qabalistic Tree of Life.

Roel

LIU The Stranger

Fire on the mountain
The superior man acts
wisely and caustiously;
he has no time for lawsuits.

Some improvement.
Auspicious
if you keep to your course.