The concept of thought really bothers/astounds me

TheDesertFox

Temporal Novice
I'm no biologist, but I fail to deeply understand the power of thought and lucidity present in, apparently, the human brain. How our memories can span decades, how we develop vast vocabularies and ideas... all with the chemicals, neurons, and other things in our brain. If that is all thought is, these chemicals in our brain and whatnot, can we control these, or are our thoughts and everything just, chaotic, if you will (this is briefly touched in The Elegant Universe)?

On top of that, it seems like thoughts are the only true thing not made up of any sort of matter. Ideas- or thoughts in organized and/or popular, well distributed form (like the alphabet) further are free of being made of matter, and something about this astounds me...

Maybe thought is the only real thing? (completely hypothetical and against my currently held beliefs)

Edit: I just realized this is the totally wrong board. I may have clicked the wrong board, but now going back I realize no board was truly appropriate for this. Anyway...

Sorry for the lack of articulation and/or clearness... It's 3AM and I'm beat/drunk.

Non-flaming, non-condescending opinions or comments?