"The future ain't what it used to be."

UK cover up in Highlands of Scotland!

Dave,

I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to remember that late 1950's and the "Space Race". If this event (referenced in the article) actually took place, and it's not unreasonable to believe that it did, I can understand the need for RAF secrecy. In 1957 the US and the UK were surprised, and alarmed, by Sputnik 1. Sputnik 1 had a payload mass of a 86 kilograms. Just 6 months later in April of 1958 the USSR successfully launched Sputnik 3 with a payload of over 1,300 kg. By 1961 the Soviets were able to launch satellites with payload masses up to 45,000 kg. By 1960, in theory, every city on the globe was within reach of a Soviet nuclear weapon with little or no chance of detection until the payload de-orbited. In the mean time the US was struggling to get a missle off the launch pad let alone into orbit. If it did happen as reported in the article I'm sure that the RAF wanted to keep the fact that they had recovered a Soviet satellite secret from the Soviets for as long as possible.

People were frightened because the world of the ICBM had been born and we were far behind.

After the fall of the USSR we were again surprised. For 40 years we (the US and GB) had seriously over estimated Soviet military capabilities in the 1950's and 1960's. We didn't have the technology that we have today in order to gather space based intel on their capabilities. When Gary Power's U-2 was shot down over Russia our ability to spy on the USSR from the air came to a screaching hault until 1964 when the SR-71 went into active service. We did over estimate their military capabilities but when it came to AA missles we guessed wrong. They actually could shoot down a U-2 at an altitude of over 15 miles.

Hi Darby,
I just looked up the dates- and I was born just over a year after Sputnik 1 launched, so direct memories are non-existent for me I'm afraid. When growing up in the 60's I was very aware of it though!

I agree totally, it would have been complete folly to let the Russians know that we had found the remains of the craft- but, I would have thought that the information would have been officially released many years ago concerning this find, instead of coming out via an RAF Mountain Rescue leader?

It all proves that information is released in a very selective way though.

Only last week another bunch of UFO files were released by the UK government- but, this can lead people to the wrong conclusion. That being that our Governments are being open about everything- which of course they are not! (and may I add, understandably- whether we like it or not)

I am no loony anarchist or the like (far from it)- but wonder how much info. is really being held back about the UFO phenomena.

That short history of the Space Race/Cold War was most interesting (especially from a US perpective). I know bits and pieces- and was quite amazed at the treatment that Korolev received from Stalin ( I think it was him back then) and his evil regime (in a BBC documentary some time back) - obviously he then went on to help them get way ahead in the Space Race, at the beginning anyway.
Mind you, he didn't have much choice in the matter.

It is quite amazing how technology has slowed down relatively since WWII and the cold War though.

When survival is at the top of your agenda, it is quite incredible how inventive the human brain can be, and how fast it can produce results.

To me, it all seems about refinement now... all small steps taken carefully, inventiveness is certainly quite poor in the 21st Century.

Whilst on this subject- is it me, or are people getting thicker (Denser) since about the year 2000 or so?
I don't know what this is down to- but it certainly shows here in the UK, and concerns me. I am not just talking youngsters- people from all walks of life!

I am seriously wondering whether the general public, just don't want to know anymore- all down to generations of lies from politicians maybe, which has ground them down perhaps, and broken their spirit?
Combine that with the wishy washy plastic culture that they are fed on a constant basis- that doesn't help for sure. But, having said that they DON'T HAVE to buy in to that stuff!

Enough Tangents for one post.o_O

cheers,
Dave

Back