"The future ain't what it used to be."

NASA finds 10th planet SEDNA!

persephone8

Timekeeper
Hello All,

Press release on March 15th says that NASA has discovered SEDNA, an orbiting body further out than Pluto!

Cool! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/yum.gif

The Appropriateness of Chance is Astounding
Persephone

"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers" by Neil Armstrong

Hi I am from the future. In my time pluto and sedna have been reclassified as moons however around 2016-2035 another planet is discovered called cupid and in the year 2261 a very strange planet is discovered, it is a dark matter planet which takes 546 of our years to orbit the sun, the dark matter planet is called extrinsic

Hello chronohistorian,

Wow! What planets are Pluto and Sedna orbitting? I know they are both smaller than our orbitting moon.

Persephone

"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers" by Neil Armstrong

Dear Anonymous,

I suppose you are right, in absence of a term to describe planets smaller than our moon, people describe these objects as moons. Maybe someone needs to create a term that can describe these objects more distinctly. Maybe there is a term out there already that I am unaware of.

Anyone know? /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Persephone

demimoon? semimoon? halfamoon? sortamoon?

anyway, who said that a moon had to revolve around a planet? it's a round rock that revolves our sun, I say that it's a sun's moon.

Dear Relativity,

How about "minor planet".

Webster's New World dictionary: Third College Addition lists the moon as a celestial body that satellites a planet, among other definitions having to do with the human culture in relation to our moon. There are other planets that have moons too. Moons don't satellite the sun, planets do. That is why a new term might be needed, or the definition of a planet be altered to exclude size as a defining parameter.

Persephone

Some astronomers used the term "planetoid" to describe a body that does not exhibit a large enough size, or a regular enough orbit, to be called a planet.

RainmanTime

There are 2 rules I hate.
Rule 1: I am always right
Rule 2: In case I am wrong, see Rule 1

lol just joking /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back